Matthew D. Malcolm
Matthew D. Malcolm practices business law, real estate law, nonprofit law, tax law, litigation, and creditors’ rights and collection law in the State of Indiana. Matt has extensive experience with a variety of real estate issues including acquisition and disposition, negotiation, assisting homeowner associations, and counseling clients on land use and rezoning issues. Matt advises privately-held businesses and nonprofits on a wide range of matters including entity formation, ownership and member issues, business restructuring, buying and selling of a business, commercial contracting, corporate governance, aquisition and disposition, and mergers. He has also successfully represented numerous businesses and individuals by resolving outstanding tax liabilities with the IRS and Indiana Department of Revenue. Combined with Matt’s litigation experience, he is able to address many of the needs that arise with privately-owned businesses. When he is not practicing law, Matt enjoys volunteering with the Warrick Humane Society, discovering new restaurants, and spending time with his wife, Tendo, and their four-legged feline child, Zeke. Matt is not a native of Evansville, but got here as quickly as he could.
- Business and Real Estate: Assists privately-owned businesses and individuals in a broad spectrum of business needs including residential and commercial real estate transactions, business formations, commercial litigation, and the sale/purchase of corporate assets.
- Contract Negotiation: Assists commercial, manufacturing and industrial clients in the negotiation and incorporation of clauses pertaining to confidentiality, warranty, dispute resolution, limitation of liability, and numerous other business contracts.
- Tax Resolution: Provides legal and financial analysis to businesses and individuals on a variety of IRS and Indiana Department of Revenue issues including contested personal taxes, property taxes and business taxes. Negotiates Offers in Compromise on behalf of clients to reduce individual and business tax liability.
- Collections and Creditors’ Rights: Represents creditors in a variety of industries in state courts to maximize recovery on past due claims.
- 2010: Butler University, Indianapolis, Ind., B.S., International Management, Mandarin minor, B.S.
- 2014: Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Ind., J.D.
Publications and Presentations
- “Know What to Expect When Buying Real Property in an Indiana Tax Sale,” Article posted on KDDK.com, Author (August 2019)
- “The Ins and Outs of the Eviction Process,” Indiana Apartment Association, Presenter (July 2019)
- “Rent-to-Buy Lawsuit Heading to the Indiana Supreme Court,” Article posted on KDDK.com, Author (February 2019)
- “Preparing Common Business Contracts,” National Business Institute Seminar, Presenter (December 2017)
- “Forming Limited Liability Companies,” National Business Institute Seminar, Presenter (December 2017)
- “IRS to Begin Use of Private Collection Agencies,” Article posted on KDDK.com, Author (September 2016)
- “Income Tax Considerations for Same Sex Couples,” Brooks American Inn of Court Seminar, Presenter (March 2016)
- “Introduction to Contracts,” Southern Indiana Association of Realtors Seminar, Presenter (February 2016)
- “Indiana 2015 Tax Amnesty Program Under Fire for Inaccurate Notices,” Article posted on KDDK.com, Author (November 2015)
- “Indiana Tax Amnesty Ending November 16, 2015,” Article posted on KDDK.com, Author (October 2015)
- “Symbols, Contract Ambiguity, and the Duty to Ask Questions,” Article posted on KDDK.com, Author (December 2014)
- Evansville Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Brooks American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- Warrick Humane Society: Board of Directors
- Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic: Volunteer
- Southern Indiana Builders Association: Member
- Youth Resources of Southwest Indiana: Teen Court Volunteer
- United Way of Southwestern Indiana: Young Leaders United
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- Selected, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine, Rising Star (2018, 2019)