Maria Bulkley is a partner at Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn, LLP where she has practiced business and real estate law for over 20 years. Maria also practices in the areas of land use planning and zoning, land development, mediation, and family law. She assists clients with agreements essential to all aspects of business law and real estate development. Maria is a registered mediator for domestic relations and general civil matters. In addition, she represents clients in family law matters with an emphasis on dissolutions of marriage involving complex marital estates. Maria is also trained and experienced in Collaborative Family Practice.
- 1994: University of Evansville, Evansville, Ind., B.A. Spanish, B.S. Finance/Economics/International Business
- 1997: Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Ind., J.D.
- Representation of businesses in land use planning and development of real estate including rezoning, variances, site permits, street vacations, and economic development incentives.
- Business and real estate contract drafting and negotiation and mergers and acquisitions documentation.
- Corporate recordkeeping and documentation and formation of business entities.
- Representation of individuals and businesses in condemnation/property rights cases; negotiation with government agencies in takings cases for redesign of construction plans more favorable to landowner and monetary damages payments.
- Dissolution of marriage for complex marital estates.
- Indiana Registered Mediator in domestic relations, general civil mediations and mortgage foreclosure mediation.
- Collaborative law: Formal training and practical experience in handling collaborative dissolution of marriage as an alternative to litigated dissolution and custody.
- Real Estate
Publications and Presentations
- “Can a Juvenile Be Questioned by Police at School Without A Miranda Warning?,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2017)
- “Rezoning Process to Quicken in City of Evansville and Vanderburgh County,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2017)
- “Zoning Contingencies in Commercial Real Estate Purchase Agreements,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2017)
- “Be Ready to ‘Spring Forward’ in 2016 with New Construction,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (December 2015)
- “Legal Updates Regarding Land Development” and “Commercial Property Purchase and Lease,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2015)
- “Can Guardians Pursue Divorce on Behalf of Wards? Court of Appeals Publishes Ruling.” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2013)
- “Indiana Supreme Court Upholds the Confidentiality of Statements Made in Mediation,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2013)
- “How Emotions Affect Negotiations,” Women’s Council of Realtors, Presenter
- “Governor Signs Amendment To Child Support Law,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (March 2012)
- “Principled Negotiations,” University of Evansville Executive MBA Class, Presenter
- “Real Estate Development, Plat and Subdivision Law in Indiana,” Continuing Education Presentation or Attorneys and Engineers, Presenter
- “Legal Issues in Starting and Running a Business,” Fifth Third Women’s Financial Group, Presenter
- “The Nuts and Bolts of Serving on a Not-for-Profit Board of Directors,” Evansville Bar Association, Seminar Chair, Presenter, Contributing Author
- “Local Zoning Laws and Abandoned Vehicle Ordinance Enforcement,” United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE), Presenter
- “Code Enforcement,” Annual Conference of Neighborhood Associations’ Focus Council, Presenter
- “Ethics in Multi-Disciplinary Practice,” Brooks American Inns of Court, Presenter
- “Legal Issues Symposium: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Other Legal Issues for Universities,” Presentation to Faculty at University of Evansville Fall Faculty Conference
- “Code Enforcement Law and The Housing Court System,” United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE), Presenter
- “Forum on Race and Gender Fairness in the State Judicial System,” Indiana Supreme Court, Facilitator
- “Careers in the Legal Profession,” Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation, Presenter
- Evansville Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Collaborative Family Practice Attorney
- Indiana Registered Domestic Relations Mediator
- Indiana Registered Civil Mediator
- Indiana Registered Mortgage Foreclosure Mediator
- Signature School Volunteer; Founder and Chairperson of PTSA Annual Incoming Freshmen Events 2018 to present; PTSA Member
- Volunteer: Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program (JLAP)-2019 to present Leadership Evansville: Program Alumnus
- Southwest Indiana Chamber: Diverse Business Alliance Propel Program, Past Mentor
- Assistant City Attorney for Evansville (Former)
- Marian Educational Outreach (MEO): Board of Directors (Former)
- Vanderburgh Humane Society, Inc.: Board of Directors (Former President)
- Reitz Home Preservation Society, Inc.: Board of Trustees (Former)
- City of Evansville Code Enforcement Hearing Authority Board, Pro Tem Hearing Officer (Former)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Land Use and Zoning Law
- Rated, BV® Distinguished™, Martindale-Hubbell®